Challenges and aims
Via its competitiveness cluster in automobile and public transport R&D, Mov'eo work on collaborative and innovative projects which reinforce international competitiveness of French businesses on the continent and overseas.
The cluster is based in the Lower and Upper Normandy and Greater Parisian area (Ile-de-France). This territory represents more than 70% of R&D in the French automobile sector. By focusing on a collaborative form of R&D, Mov'eo is able to harmonise communication between big industries, small businesses and laboratories. Thus increasing added value to its resource and skills centers and creating a dynamic industrial network. These innovative projects contribute to developing local economies, generating new jobs and industrial activity, as well as firmly establishing R&D within the country.
Since it was created in 2006, Mov'eo has more than 260 members and has registered more than 215 R&D projects of which 87 have received support from the public sector to the amount of 146 million euros. Mov'eo forecasts developments in clean technologies, decarbonated vehicles and life cycle assessment, with the aim of becoming a world reference competitiveness cluster in automobile and public transport R&D.
Over the past three years new technologies have emerged, bringing new challenges to the automobile and transport industries. Mov'eo intends to bring forward solutions to these challenges by establishing collaborative projects in seven Strategic Activity Domains (SAD):
- Mobility Solutions: to encourage and improve everyone's mobility thanks to the use of new technologies;
- Road Safety: to increase road safety for everyone in urban areas and on the open road;
- Demonstrators and Decarbonated Vehicles: to encourage the introduction of decarbonated vehicles and complete demonstrations of new automobile designs onto the market;
- Environmental Impact of Vehicles: to recognise and treat polluters and environmental impacts while taking into account life cycle assessment;
- Energy Storage Systems (reversible embedded systems & interfaces): to develop components and control and interface systems for batteries, accumulators and superconductors, and more generally for all forms of non-combustible energy storage (electric, pneumatic, mechanical ...) for electric and hybrid vehicles;
- Mecatronic Systems for Vehicle Electrification: to generalize the electrification of functions through the use of innovative and competitive mecatronic systems and components, in order to reduce energy consumption, increase comfort and security, and optimise mobility;
- ICE Powertrains: to reduce CO2 emissions limiting the impact on the environment, and promote design and evaluation tools.
This set up will allow for the cluster to incorporate each member company's skills and rely on their innovative capacities. In particular, of small and medium businesses which represent 40% of current cluster members (compared to 17% in 2006). Each member company is represented at each decision-making stage and contributes to many new projects.